Forum Discussion

AshrafKassem
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 15, 2024

LTM + GTM on same box

Hello All,

I have two F5 boxes 2800 and i will run LTM + GTM on the same HA box.  

can anyone tell me the GTM Steps? like how to add HA LTM on GTM? 

do I need to do the GTM configuration on ACTIVE and standby F5?

when i tried to add the standby F5 to GTM, i found all VIPs are red color, is that okay ?

• you dont need to configure gtm ha separately.
    by configuring bigip ha pair (sync failover device group), the gtm modules in both nodes should act as single gtm node.

gtm-layer active standby or active-active is between gtms in different data center/site/drc.

AshrafKassem
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

LTM + GTM on same box

i followed the below steps:
      1. Setup HA between LTM and working fine as active/standby
      2.License both modules for GTM.

3.on the active F5 I Tab added both F5 each one with its Owen self-IP in GTM as a server with VIP discovery enabled.

4.on the Standby F5 I added both F5 each one with its Owen self-IP in GTM Tab as a server with VIP discovery enabled.

5.i have allow all on the self-IP of both F5.
      6. I run gtm_add script on the standby F5. 
      But, when i go to GTM Tab i found that standby F5 VIPs showing down ?

• Hello

You would have HA configured for LTM but only have the sync group for GTMs configured so that the GTMs respond independently of each other and the LTMs work as physical hardware backups for the other. It is not generally recommended that you combine GTM and LTMs on one platform but it can be done. 

Use below for configuring GTM sync- https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K45907236

https://techdocs.f5.com/en-us/bigip-14-1-0/big-ip-device-service-clustering-administration-14-1-0/creating-an-active-standby-configuration-using-the-setup-utility.html

In GTM you. Need listener ips for accepting trafic. You can add all the GTM in sync, but not in HA

Br

Aswin