Forum Discussion

quangtran
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Jul 30, 2024

Big-IP ASM automatically removes my hostname

, but I don't see the violation reaching the threshold of 100.
Hello everyone,

Recently, my service has encountered an issue. In the evening, while everything was running normally, I received a block warning from ASM. Upon checking, I found that my hostname was automatically removed from the policy by ASM. I am using fully automatic as per this link: https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K000134503. However, the problem is that when I checked for violations, I did not see any violations related to violations="Illegal host name." So, why did it reach the threshold of 100 and remove my hostname? Could this be a bug? I checked that there were no accept suggestions at that time, only violations="Illegal repeated parameter name," which I do not think is the issue. Thank you.

8 Replies

• Did it happen again or was it a one time occurrence?

Can you involve F5 support? They can actually look at your configuration and perhaps logs which makes things way easier.

What was your enforcement mode set to?

quangtran

Hi boneyard 
      I switched the Policy building learning mode to manual, and this issue no longer occurs. I have always set the mode to blocking from the beginning. I want to investigate the cause of the problem, which is why I brought up this topic. This issue occurs on many of my F5 servers, from devtest to prod.

boneyard
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Certainly if it can be reproduced I would involve F5 support.

I gave it quick try myself, not sure how I would trigger the hostname removal now. You don't do anything just keep getting traffic to it?

quangtran

Sure, I have configured and my service is running normally. I am not using subdomain included because there is only one hostname for this service.