Forum Discussion

gurkha
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 08, 2024

Standalone F5 Device Synchronization

How is it possible to synchronize between two standalone Big IP devices? I have previously worked in Active- Standby mode and synchronization in this type of deployment is straight forward. I recently came across a Big IP DNS environment where the DNS were deployed in Standalone across two DC's and still if we made change on one side of Big IP DNS the configuration would still get reflected across to another DC

• Hi Gurkha, 

In F5 DNS you can't configure active/standby deployment... but as you said you install 2 Bigips in two different DCs to work as an active/active. 

IF you're using F5 DNS GSLB or even using BIGIP DNS local BIND Technique you will be able to synchronize between the two devices. 

What I want to say if you use GSLB ( Wide-ips , VSs , Servers , DCs , monitors .. ) these objects are exists in bigip_gtm.conf which can be synchronized between two or more devices in active-active scenario. 

Also you can synchronize local bind Zones if you configure BIND.

If you're using DNS Express or caching you can't sync Configs or Zones to the other device. 

I hope you get my point.. let me what you're going to configure to be able help you more ...

gurkha

Hi , thanks for the reply.

We already are using DNS Domain Delegation our authoritative DNS is F5 XC and from there we have create a CNAME, NS pointing towards on-premise DC. One of the NS is towards DC1 and the other is towards DC2.

As Big IP DNS was pretty new to me I was in the phase of understanding it. I am slowly getting the hang of it. 

gurkha

Hello Aswin_mk  I have posted the same link at the top. You can have a look at it

Aswin_mk
        Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus

Yes . You can use that link for configuration and sync.(If both DC DNS need to be in sync)

In F5 DNS you can't configure active/standby deployment and it should be line active/active .  user DNS traffic is receiving in which DNS listener ip, it will provide the response. The setup will work like that