Forum Discussion

Lynxus_177337
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 17, 2014
Solved

Why doesnt Vlan and IP information "sync" ?

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to this, I have two F5 LTM's with a dedicated HA cable/vlan between them.

HA is created, both are talking active/standby however, if i create a Layer2 vlan on the active one it doesnt sync to the standby... It doesnt even say "out of sync.."

If I create a self IP and a "floating" self IP for the vlan on the active, it then goes out of sync.. I run a sync and the standby STILL doesnt show any new IP or Vlan information?

What am I missing here? Why on earth is it "in sync" when clearly there is a huge mismatch in network config?

I am really having problems understanding this HA setup and the F5 docs in my eyes really dont answer much..

What is the correct way to add a new vlan and ip's to a pair of HA LTMs as clearly what I am doing is wrong?

Thanks for your help.

• Actually LTM sync is little bit differ than other devices, the network part which include ip addresses, vlans, trunks, route,.... is not included in sync process. so you have to do it manually in both units, make sure you are using same name in each node, both should be identical

5 Replies

• Actually LTM sync is little bit differ than other devices, the network part which include ip addresses, vlans, trunks, route,.... is not included in sync process. so you have to do it manually in both units, make sure you are using same name in each node, both should be identical

Lynxus_177337
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      Ah ok, So I guess "load balance stuff" , Nodes, Vips , Persistence etc etc will sync. But network ( underlying stuff ) must be manual? Sorta makes sense I guess.
      Mahmoud_Eldeeb_
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
      not only load balance staff, everything is synced except network part
  • this is the way how LTM sync is working, it will sycn everything except network part

• IP and VLAN information does not sync in HA except the floating IPs. So when you create a new VLAN you have to create on both boxes. Create Self IPs n both boxes. Create Floating IP on one box and status will change to "changes pending" so you can sync floating IPs. The reason is floating IP has to be same but self IPs have to be different on each box. If you don't create VLAN on other box and try to sync the floating IP, F5 will give you errors.