Forum Discussion

Ron_Carovano_75
Historic F5 Account
Sep 11, 2009

Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control Plug-in

FYI, an updated Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control plug-in for BIG-IP is now available for beta testing.

Before you attempt to access the beta, please reply to this message with your DevCentral userid, so we can grant you access to the forum.

http://devcentral.f5.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&view=topics&forumid=63

Please log-in and read the first post for further instructions.

Once you have access, please direct future questions, concerns, and other messages via the Oracle OEM Plugin Forum. This will help assure that information is quickly shared among everyone involved in the beta testing.

Thanks to all who participate in the beta testing!
  • OK my apologies to everyone. My priorities were changed away from the F5 plugin for OEM 12c and therefore I have not been working on it. I was successful in compiling the source on our 64bit Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.7 server. I was successful in uploading the plugin into OEM 12c BUT I am unable to add the target: F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager. After entering the target name, LTM username, LTM password and LTM hostname I then click the "Test Connection" button and get the following error:

Switch;May 10, 2012 11:06:53 AM org.apache.axis.client.Call invoke SEVERE: Exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException

at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.SimpleDeserializer.onEndElement(SimpleDeserializer.java:176) at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializerImpl.endElement(DeserializerImpl.java:502)

at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.endElement(DeserializationContext.java:1087) at org.apache.axis.message.SAX2EventRecorder.replay(SAX2EventRecorder.java:171)

at org.apache.axis.message.MessageElement.publishToHandler(MessageElement.java:1141)

at org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.deserialize(RPCElement.java:345)

at org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.getParams(RPCElement.java:384)

at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2467)

at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2366)

at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1812)

at iControl.SystemStatisticsBindingStub.get_global_statistics(SystemStatisticsBindingStub.java:1684) at com.f5.bigip.ltm.oem.SystemSwitch.getSystemSwitchInfo(SystemSwitch.java:70)

at com.f5.bigip.ltm.oem.SystemSwitch.acceptRequest(SystemSwitch.java:55)

at com.f5.bigip.ltm.oem.MetricCollection.acceptRequest(MetricCollection.java:117)

at com.f5.bigip.ltm.oem.MetricCollector.doCollector(MetricCollector.java:89)

at com.f5.bigip.ltm.oem.MetricCollector.main(MetricCollector.java:218) Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException

at iControl.CommonStatisticType.fromValue(CommonStatisticType.java:1099)

at iControl.CommonStatisticType.fromString(CommonStatisticType.java:1104)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.EnumDeserializer.makeValue(EnumDeserializer.java:53)

at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.SimpleDeserializer.onEndElement(SimpleDeserializer.java:172) ... 15 more em_error = ; nested exception is: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException

I am hoping someone at F5 development or any other Java developer might be able to give me a clue (since I have none) about how to aproach

this error.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

• Hi,

Please post your client code, how you are calling the service? It is clear from the exception the way we are passing parameters to the service is wrong. Pasting the client code will help in identifying the issue.

• So do we have a working linux 64 bit download yet? I see Error Ed was receiving. Can someone be more clear on this

Recompiling using the Oracle utility EMPDK on a 64bit Linux system worked. Better documentation would be greatly appreciate

What are the exact steps taking here?

Thanks

Karl_Brown_1687
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      An plans to provide support on Windows - my client's OEM deployment is in a Windows 2008 x64? Will it just require a recompile - or are there significant architectural requirements that the OMS must be running on Linux/UNIX? Thanks
      vdoshi_12527
      I have been able to make the plugin work for 64 bit linux however I also get Illegal Argument Exception error for certain metrics collection like Server Pool Members/Server Pools and a few others... I suspect incorrect arguments for these metrics so now I am looking into it...but the basic metrics especially Up/Down and tcp ping work fine.
      Mike_W_Richards
      Hello - I have also begun looking into this and got to the same point as by756. Used empdk to recompile the plugin as 64-bit and skipped the "Test Connection" as that fails to get the target added, however only a few metric collections work. I imagine the reason for this is because this wasn't designed for recent F5, given there seems to be a custom jar that it heavily relies on for metric colleciton (oem-bigip-ltm-plugin.jar). How can I get the source for this? I'm not a java developer but editing the compiled classes I imagine isn't a simple/safe thing to do :)