Forum Discussion

MattSec_139779
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 10, 2014

HTTP 1.0 vs 1.1

I'm trying to create/edit monitors on our F5s. Currently in some of our Send Strings, we're using HTTP 1.0. We'd like to use HTTP 1.1 for the fact that you can use nConnection:close to terminate the session once the F5 has checked what it needs to.

Current HTTP 1.0 strings look like this: GET /application/status\r\n -or- GET /application/status HTTP/1.0\nHost: application.company.com\n\r\n

We'd like to change all monitor send strings to look like this: GET /application/status HTTP/1.1\nHost: application.company.com\nConnection:close\n\r\n

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to change all of our monitors to use HTTP 1.1? Compatibility maybe?

Hamish
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus

As long as the pool member supports 1.1, then there's no real reason not to.

Note that some pool members actually require HTTP/1.1 now... For example VMWare View Brokers

H

JG
    Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus

That's something I am considering to do as well, if only just to stop the F5 from re-using existing connections for health-checking, which seems to cause problems for us. If you have already tried, please let us know if you get good results.

BTW, you do realise there are errors in the send strings you posted, do you?