Forum Discussion

GavinW_29074
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 06, 2012

Export TCL Shared file for Source control

Hi there,

We've started working quite heavily with iApp templates to streamline our F5 application deployments...

We've easily managed to incorporate Source control into the iApp templates themselves using SVN.

However one area I haven't yet addressed how to source control the shared files...

I've created our own copies of the standard f5.app_utils and f5.apl_common, however I'm struggling to find a way to export the apl_common file from tmsh, other than copying the bigip_script.conf file locally and stripping out what I don't need...

Is there an easier way that I'm missing???

Cheers

Gavin

6 Replies

Brent_Blood_768
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Gavin,

You can make a copy of the f5.apl_common APL script library using "cp sys app apl-script f5.apl_common my_local_copy" and then manage it similarly to what you're doing with the f5.app_utils TMSH script.

Does that get you what you need?

Cheers,

-Brent
    Mitra_Kelly_625
    Historic F5 Account
    Furthermore, if you include that copy in your template, and then export the template, the scripts will be exported along with the template. The only time this doesn't happen is with the read-only built-in scripts. Any other includes that you own get imported and exported along with your template.

Hope that helps,

Mitra
  • Brent/Mitra

Cheers for the replies... I spotted that apl_common gets exported along with the iApp templates, which is quite useful.

Now leaves finding an easy way of exporting our app_utils file from tmsh... Are bigip_script.conf or copying from shell the only ways?

Regards

Gavin
    Brent_Blood_768
    Historic F5 Account
    At the moment, those are the only ways to get at those bits.

There is an initiative to provide GUI and iControl access to TMSH and APL scripts, but that's going to take some time to make its way to shipping releases. Is that the sort of thing you're looking for (and if not, please elaborate)?
    Mitra_Kelly_625
    Historic F5 Account
    If you make a copy of f5.app_utils and then include that copy in your template, it will be exported along with your template.
  • Posted By Brent Blood on 02/07/2012 09:13 AM

At the moment, those are the only ways to get at those bits.

There is an initiative to provide GUI and iControl access to TMSH and APL scripts, but that's going to take some time to make its way to shipping releases. Is that the sort of thing you're looking for (and if not, please elaborate)?

Brent

Exactly what i'm looking for... some way of easily exporting/importing just the TMSH/APL scripts...

As mentioned, it looks like the APL scripts currently get exported as part of the template. Which just leaves the TMSH script which will need to be manually exported/imported...

Cheers again

Gavin