Forum Discussion

HetmanG
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 10, 2024

Enabling ECDHE-ECDSA Ciphers TMOS 15.1.10.x

Hello,

To meet security requirements, I am attempting to enable TLS 1.3 as well as turn off insecure ciphers including CBC Ciphers and all other insecure Ciphers.  I built a Cipher Group which includes f5-secure as 'Allow', f5-secure in the 'Allowed List' and then built an 'Exclude' that includes a rule which contains the cipher string:

AES:CAMELLIA:DES:RC4:AES256-GCM-SHA384:AES128-GCM-SHA256

This seems to work in that it restricts all bad ciphers which I do not want available.  When I look at the Group Audit, I see the following enabled:

Cipher Suites

ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384/TLS1.2
ECDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305-SHA256/TLS1.2
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384/TLS1.2
ECDHE-ECDSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305-SHA256/TLS1.2
TLS13-AES256-GCM-SHA384/TLS1.3
TLS13-CHACHA20-POLY1305-SHA256/TLS1.3
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256/TLS1.2
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256/TLS1.2
TLS13-AES128-GCM-SHA256/TLS1.3

The issue I am having is when I run an NMAP scan or hit the VIP with SSL Labs, I only get 6 Ciphers which do not include the ECDHE-ECDSA ciphers which should be TLS 1.2 Ciphers.  Under the client ssl profile, I removed the disable TLS 1.3 option, so we should be good there.  Is there anything else that specifically needs to be enabled to allow the BigIP device to support ECDHE-ECDSA ciphers?  Running 15.1.10.x series.    

Anyone have any ideas on this?

5 Replies

• Your NMAP scan will only show ECDSA ciphers if you have an ECDSA SSL certificate terminated on the VIP. I suspect that you are using an RSA SSL certificate, which is why you will only see RSA based ciphers.

whisperer
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

I would markMichael_Saleemreply as the solution here.

ECDSA ciphers require that the server has an ECC certificate. It is likely that you have only a RSA certificate though (which is the common case), which means that ECDSA ciphers will not be supported even if they are configured.

whisperer
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

I would start a separate thread, so that is more visibility and separation of issues/solutions.