Forum Discussion

usmansa1
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 11, 2024

Difference between site local inside and site local outside ?

Hi all, 

While reading the F5 distributed cloud documents for virtual network I got lost. Can someone please help me to clarify that what is the difference between the "site local inside" and "site local outside" virtual network. What I read the difference comes in when you configure network connectors, for connecting site local inside and site local outside we will have one additional option in this case and that is the SNAT option, is there any other difference exist between two virtual networks. 

Secondly when you read F5 networks it says that there could be only one network of this type at particular site (as mentioned in the snapshot below). What does this mean, cant we configure two local-inside type virtual network at one site and if yes then I don't understand why there is an option to configure virtual network of this type ?

3 Replies

• Simple Site Local Outside is the default interface usually eth0 that is Internet facing so that the CE can register to the XC cloud while the Inside interface is optional as to connect to the internal environment that may not be Internet exposed. 

You can see the BIG-IP one arm and multi arm deployments as similar example where one-arm is just CE with Outside interface:

One-Arm and Multi-Arm Topologies (vmware.com)

Article Detail (f5.com)

• the document says that only one type of this network can exist in the site and it is created by default while bootstrapping then what is the purpose of giving an option to create this type of network in XC console 

Nikoolayy1
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

You can add interfaces to either SLI (Inside ) or SLO(outside) as during deployment you will need to specify if you are deploying just Outside interface(default and mandatory) as for One-Arm deployment or also with Inside Interface for 2-Arm deployment (this depends on your network and routing which you will select 🙂) that is configured with Secure Mesh sites(the recommended) or Fleet option. Also you can group interfaces in SLO or SLI.

Did you open the links I shared ? Also I suggest going through the XC trainings.

https://trainingf5cloud.teachable.com/

F5 Training Programs and Online Classes | F5